Our members participate in many local events to further the standing of immigrants on Long Island. We are constantly pursuing and pressing the issues that matter to Long Island’s Immigrant population. Key issues that LIIA is working on:
1. Creation of a funding stream for ESL programs
2. Improved access for health care services, such as translation at hospitals and clinics
3. Promotion of community safety and building trust between immigrant community and police by ensuring separation between immigration status and local law enforcement and crime reduction activities.
4. Protection of workers’ rights through local enforcement of labor laws against exploitative employers.
5. Promotion of civic engagement among new citizens through support of voter registration efforts and language access at polls.